As Zalando transforms from Europe’s leading e-commerce company into a multi-service platform for fashion, this is an exciting time to join us. As a Research Engineer in our Helsinki Tech Hub, you’re part of a high performing team, building technologies that connect every part of the fashion industry.
We live Radical Agility, a methodology built on trust and backed by an architecture that lets us move fast while keeping complexity low. Open Source and InnerSource development is integral to our engineering practices and culture, supported at every level.
When you can tackle new challenges and take ownership of your work, the opportunities to make a personal impact are limitless, and there’s always more to play for.
YOU ARE READY TO MAKE AN IMPACT
Help shape the future of fashion experience at Zalando.
At the Helsinki Tech Hub we are shaping the future personalized fashion experience of the Zalando Fashion store. Our mission is to offer each individual a boutique experience through continuous dialogue and highly personalized user journeys through the world of fashion.
Zalando Technology is one of the most collaborative places you can imagine. Partnerships happen with all key engineering and product teams, the Zalando Research unit, and with the international tech community outside of Zalando. We are looking for Research Engineers and Applied Data Scientists to work on a broad set of real-world practical problems of massive scale that will have a direct and significant business impact.
As a Research Engineer, you will focus on developing Zalando’s in-house solutions to provide a personalized and relevant user experience. You will build microservices which steer the customization of Zalando’s Fashion Store by understanding our customers’ preferences.
YOU ARE SETTING STANDARDS
- Be accountable for all aspects of your work, from research and analysis to testing and deployment
- Play a critical role in the team as a creative Research Engineer or Applied Data Scientist working at a project level
- Understand and effectively communicate with internal business customers, partners, and stakeholders at each stage of a project
YOU ARE SKILLED
- A degree (Ph.D. or M.Sc.) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics (or other similar quantitative field)
- Deep understanding of Machine Learning methods, such as generalized linear models, clustering, and neural networks
- Data engineering skills, building ETL pipelines, data monitoring, and data quality assurance
- Experience in building Machine Learning driven systems (to improve KPIs such as click-through rates, retention or check-out value) or experience with Recommender systems
- Ability to create innovative technical concepts to solve challenging new applied Machine Learning problems
- Passion to develop a great product as part of an Agile team
- Experience with Spark (SQL, ML)
- Bias towards fast delivery while having high-quality standards
- Writing Scala, Java or Python code (ideally used in production)
Additional preferred skills
- Experience with AWS (EMR, S3, Data Pipelines, Dynamo DB,...)
- Experience with Reinforcement Learning
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensor Flow, Caffe, Keras, or Theano
- Understanding of Knowledge Graphs, how they are built, run and used for problem-solving
YOU ARE OFFERED
Our recipe for success: Think big and act fast. Your contribution today will influence millions of customers tomorrow. At Zalando, you have the opportunity to work for a fast growing international company that wants to offer the world’s best fashion experience. Obviously, we offer you much more:
- Use of cutting-edge open source technologies and cloud services
- Learning and growth opportunities. In Zalando we have more than 100 tech teams actively sharing information and enabling learning through weekly tech talks, company-hosted tech meetups, possibility of visiting conferences
- Zalando actively supports the publishing of research and the opportunity to present that work at conferences
- Employee discount for all Zalando shop products
- Comprehensive Benefits package including Private Healthcare, Language course, and Travel support
- Through our mentoring program, you will get up to speed and become productive very quickly
- Relocation support if you are based outside of the Capital Area / Country. We know that moving can be a challenge in terms of housing, visas, and documentation, at Zalando you can count on us to help make things as easy as possible!
WANT TO JOIN US?
If you need guidance or have any questions about our hiring processes, please contact Noora Heikkinen