As a Delivery Lead at Zalando, you will be responsible for leading teams to deliver on our mission to create Europe’s biggest and best online fashion platform. Zalando provides a vast amount of interesting technology areas ranging from mobile development to logistics, from data science to database engineering and many more.
You will have the possibility to work with motivated, autonomous Delivery Teams and the freedom to launch your own open source projects, contribute to others’, build internal community around your interests, speak at conferences and strengthen your personal brand while receiving meaningful support at every step.
The Helsinki Tech Hub is growing fast. We are based in Kamppi, right in the heart of Helsinki. The office offers a fantastic space to work where you can have a real impact on the world of e-commerce, working with a diverse bunch of talented individuals (if we do say so ourselves!) In Zalando we build small autonomous teams which design, develop and operate their solutions taking full ownership of the development lifecycle. We believe in trust, purpose, autonomy and mastery. And great coffee.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Significant experience in web and mobile technology concepts, agile development methodologies and team leadership
- Up to date on current trends in software design, architecture and web services
- Skilled in object-oriented and functional programming languages like Java / Scala / Python / Clojure (with relevant frameworks) as well as (No)SQL databases
- Knowledge of event-based systems and event queues in general is a plus
- Passion for well structured, readable and testable code
- Experienced engineer who knows about scalability, high-availability, security, monitoring, architecture & design of state-of-the-art websites and the systems that drive them
- Profound knowledge of REST APIs and highly distributed, scalable and resilient microservice landscapes
- Experience with designing and operating large-scale applications on a PaaS/SaaS cloud, preferably AWS
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS
- Experience in building, developing and managing a team of engineers in an agile environment
- You can lead projects and groups, including managing complex projects with various stakeholders through the whole company
- You feel comfortable in coaching teams and finding the best possible solution
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other teams, and to solve conflicts
- You think creatively, solution oriented, and continuously innovate
- For your area of responsibility you craft a technical vision that aligns well with the overall technology vision
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and English language fluency
- Developing and executing the mid- & long-term technical vision and architecture with your teams
- Help your teams to find the right solution for complex problems by supporting, not steering them
- Drive team mastery of world-class development techniques
- Keep a close connection to Product Owners / Product Specialists and be a sparring partner when creating the product vision
- Define Objectives and Key Results with your team to achieve a high-level alignment on a quarter-year basis
- Facilitate communication and decision-making between teams and stakeholders
- Support People Leads in developing the individuals in your teams
- Coach and develop team members in technical questions
- Identify and share your knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies
- Represent Zalando at conferences and meetups, give technical talks and help to recruit great technical talent
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Mentoring program
- Tech talks, skills-building courses and People Leads who help you achieve mastery
- Personal branding support: From preparing tech talks and blog posts to professional networking
- Community: hack weeks, movie nights, coder dojos, +70 self-organized tech guilds and more
- Competitive salary
- 40% Zalando shopping discount and commuter discount
Zalando is transforming from Europe’s leading e-commerce company into a multi-service platform for fashion. From logistics, to big brands, to manufactures - we’re building the platform that connects all people and parts of the fashion ecosystem.
We live Radical Agility. With the set of principles that we give our teams - Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose - we entrust them to shape the future of Zalando. You will be the one changing the world’s opinion of tech and fashion in Europe.
What makes your individual impact at Zalando limitless is the possibility to tackle and create new opportunities. At Zalando, it is not only about growth and improvement - it is about inventing new things. We strongly believe that providing useful code to the world is a virtue. We strive to learn from and contribute to open source software for the betterment of Zalando and the tech community.
Want to join us? Then go ahead and apply!
If you need guidance or have any questions about our hiring processes for Helsinki, please contact William Scharf